Are you considering trying a vaginal suppository but confused about it? We’ve prepared a guide to help you use it properly.
What are Vaginal Suppositories?
Vaginal suppositories are firm medications that need to be inserted into the vagina via a special applicator. The body then soaks up the drugs from the vaginal suppositories rapidly. Vaginal suppositories are more effective than oral medications and work faster since they absorb in the bloodstream by melting inside the body.
How to Use Vaginal Suppositories?
Now that we’ve figured out what vaginal suppositories are, we can discuss how to use them correctly. Without further ado, let’s dive right into it.
Prep Your Vagina
Before you directly insert your vaginal suppository, you need to prep your vagina first. Here's how you can do so:
- Wash your vagina with a mild soap and some warm water gently. Make sure you don't use any other harmful products. Don’t forget to wash your hands with an antiseptic too. After cleaning your hands and vagina, pat your vagina dry thoroughly with a clean towel.
- Take the suppository out of its wrapping and place it on the end of the applicator. But if you're using a prefilled suppository applicator, you can skip this step since a prefilled suppository already has the medication.
- Next up, hold the opposite end of the applicator; the one that doesn't contain the suppository.
Inserting the Suppository
Once you're all set with the applicator and ready to move forward, the next step is inserting the suppository. Follow the steps below to successfully do so:
- You need to get into a position to successfully insert the suppository. You could either lie back with your knees bent, or you could stand bending your knees with your legs apart. Whatever you feel comfortable in, you can get into that position.
- Start inserting the applicator gently in your vagina, avoid using force or pushing it forward; only insert as far as it will go without any discomfort.
- Push on the applicator's plunger to push the suppository deep into your vagina. Lastly, remove the applicator from your vagina, and voila! You're done!
Time to Clean Up
After you're all with your vaginal suppository, it's very important to clean up. First off, get rid of your applicator unless the package says it's reusable. Dispose of the applicator and additional material you used. Lastly, wash your hands thoroughly with an antiseptic soap and warm water.
Helpful Tips for Using a Vaginal Suppository
If you’re using a vaginal suppository the first time, it can get a bit confusing. That’s why we’ve made it easy with some helpful tips. Read on to learn more.
- If it’s your first time, you can always dip the suppository in water to make it easier to insert.
- Vaginal suppositories can leak, so they're the most comfortable when used before bed. Moreover, you can always wear a sanitary napkin to avoid leakages.
- Vaginal suppositories are safe to use during your period, so don't be afraid. However, avoid using a tampon since it can absorb some of the drug, making the suppository ineffective.
- Avoid any melting by storing the suppositories in a cool place.
If you’re looking for some vaginal suppositories, check out Pretty pH. We offer boric acid suppositories for bacterial vaginosis, vaginal odor treatment, yeast infections, vaginal pH balance, and much more.
Shop for boric acid suppositories at our store right away!